Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Dance of Change Initiation

First, thanks to David Culberhouse for his insightful post on Designing Systems of Change. David offers a consistent and informative flow of thoughts that cause me to ponder and reflect about my learning and teaching. His post influenced me to bring Peter Senge's "The Dance of Change" back into view and I've resumed my reading that I barely started years ago.

Second, the following except in "The Dance of Change" is causing me to consider yet another shift in our learning:

     "Sustaining any profound change process requires a fundamental shift in thinking. We need to understand the nature of growth processes (forces that aid our efforts) and how to catalyze them. But we also need to understand the forces and challenges that impede progress, and to develop workable strategies for dealing with these challenges. We need to appreciate 'the dance of change,' the inevitable interplay between growth processes and limiting processes."

     "This requires us to think of sustaining change more biologically and less mechanistically. It requires patience as well as urgency. It requires a real sense of inquiry, a genuine curiosity about limiting factors. It requires seeing how significant change invariably starts locally, and how it grows over time. And it requires recognizing the diverse array of people who play key roles in sustaining change - people who are -- 'leaders'."

This post marks the begnning of my new journey as I seek to better understand my growth and limiting processes as well as those of our students. As always, I yearn for your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment