Friday, March 21, 2014

Timely Feedback is Crucial in the Learning Process


Since my last post, I've been more mindful about providing useful and timely feedback to our students. I've always been cognizant of how valuable feedback is to learning, though now I'm more attuned to the timing and specifics of it.  After learning alongside several students this week after school and answering student's questions through Twitter or texts, I've realized that students are more receptive to the feedback when the feedback is offered during the learning, not after. Students appear to apply the feedback more constructively when it's during the learning and they can immediately adapt their learning based on it. During our class collaborative questioning, through a Twitter thread with a student or during a face-to-face learning experience, students can immediately apply the answers to the questions to the learning that is happening real time. Getting an answer to a question during the learning is so much more valuable than getting that same question answered after class. I found that to be true in my college days. There were several instances this week during class and after class when students applied the correction to their learning with genuine understanding resulting in an "ah-ha" moment, a "Oh, so you mean..." or "When we see this type of structure, we can apply either of these processes? Got it!". When I get feedback to my learning during the process, it's so much more beneficial and applicable than receiving that same feedback a week later. I had several instances of this manifest itself in slightly different ways this week. One that stands out in my mind was the young man who passed in an assignment early and wanted to know how he did since he claimed he worked so diligently on the material. I offered him my answers to compare to his. Upon seeing a few of his mistakes, he immediately responded "I see exactly where I went wrong". His next question was not one I had anticipated. He asked, "Could I please fix these now as I understand my error in applying these concepts?". With a stunned but grateful look on my face, I replied "Of course. Make it happen!". A few minutes later, he resubmitted his assignment and thanked me for the encouragement and my willingness to allow him to fix his mistakes. To me, that was genuine learning based on timely feedback.

Two of  our Intro to Probability senior classes this week sensed some confusion differentiating two concepts and knowing when to apply them. I detected this during our class discussion and was further convinced after reviewing their exit tickets. In an effort to resolve the confusion, I created a student-centered activity where students could work through various situations collaboratively. During this time, I could be available to offer individual suggestions and guidance for our learning. After giving students time to work though these questions on their own or in their groups, I listed the ten question numbers on the board and welcomed student initials next to them as students willing to show and explain the workings of each question. Student literally erupted into shouting which question number they wanted their initials next to. Some students offered the initials of another student giving someone else a chance to demonstrate proficiency. Within a minute, all ten questions had initials and there were countless students at our boards writing away! It was thrilling to witness their willingness to engage, watch their collaborative learning and work through any errors in understanding once the questions on the board were discussed.

The high point of my week came from a young man in our Algebra 2 course. This young man regularly demonstrates engagement and understanding during our class time. However, he has been applying minimal effort to our course outside of class. Last week he handed in some evidence that was much less than what he was capable of submitting. I told him it was time for me to get his Dad involved. He acknowledged, but asked for one more chance to prove himself. I agreed. After reviewing this week's evidence, I communicated with him that I was calling his Dad. He understood. I did. Dad and I had a heart to heart chat about the potential of his son and the decision his son was making to delay learning outside of our class time. His Dad was very supportive and thanked me for the call. I then contacted my student and told him that his Dad and I has just discussed the situation. He replied, "I know. My Dad is talking to me right now.". Within five minutes, I received a text from my student thanking me for calling his Dad, helping him to get back on track and caring enough to be his safety net. He said, "If it weren't for you and your call, I would have continued on a downward spiral. Mr. Rowe, thank you.".

Let's be inspired by the engaged learning that our students deserve and offer timely feedback to empower their learning!

15 comments:

  1. Being timely with our feedback cannot be stressed enough, thanks for this reminder Rik! The culture of learning you have built this year in your classroom is so commendable. Your students are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Garnet! We inspire, educate and support each other on this incredible learning journey!

      Delete
  2. You continue to inspire! I remember how we talked a year or so ago about the 24 hour rule, you continue to refine the acceptable definition and I applaud you! It makes so much sense that feedback should not be deferred, the sooner the better. In the asynchronous environment this becomes easier because each student will require feedback at slightly different times insead of the whole class at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasper, your ideas, support and encouragement propels me on this journey. The learning has become more engaging, more fresh and more dynamic with all we are learning from and with each other. Let's continue to be dynamic deviants!

      Delete
  3. Rik, This is so inspiring and authentic! This is how learning should be. You are a fantastic teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! Our PLN is a HUGE proponent of the success we're having in our classrooms! Let's keep the learning engaged, innovative and inspiring!

      Delete
  4. Students rarely seem to use all that good feedback we provide on their papers when we return them several days later; the need for timely -- in the moment timely -- feedback has never been greater. Formative feedback helps students learn. Summative feedback is after the fact: no learning, just information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! Feedback provided during the Formative Assessment process guides instruction and learning so much better than during or after a Summative Assessment.

      Delete
  5. As a student in Mr. Rowe's class, I've learned to work more efficiently and to be more productive in class. His teaching methods have not only helped me in math, but in all my other classes as well. He has taught me to never give up and always keep trying. The most helpful advice he gave me was to ask questions when I didn't completely understand something. Using the methods he taught me has also helped me to bring up my grades in my other classes. All I can is thank you. You an amazing teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlon, thank you so much for your valuable feedback. Together we can and will accomplish great things! Trust me!

      Delete
  6. Great post Rik. Wonderful examples of the value of feedback while learning. Where it has been most evident for me in recent years has been in golf lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, thank you for reviewing my blog post and for continuing to share your wisdom, often during our #sblchat on Wednesday's at 9pm ET. So many of us value all the insights you regularly share!

      Delete
  7. I love this post! I especially like the story about the last student and your call to his dad. Students want to know that we care and you do this so well! I enjoy learning with you!--Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, we've learned so much from each other this school year. I appreciate how connected we are with each other! Please keep up our learning!

      Delete
  8. This message cannot be reiterated enough. Thanks for sharing your stories. Your earlier point about feedback being more effective while students are working, especially.

    My students improved their essay writing skills more quickly once we did it all on Google Docs.

    ReplyDelete