Friday, November 25, 2016

Integrating Distributed Practice and a Mobile App

I recently aimed to integrate our Standards, Distributed Practice, and the development of a mobile app for our Marlborough High School Learners. I transitioned to Marlborough High School, my alma mater, on November 7th and have been graciously welcomed by the administration, students, colleagues, and parents alike.

After reviewing our Math Department's curriculum for the courses I was scheduled to teach, I took the following steps to streamline the planning and learning process:

  • Identify the Power Standards from the Standards for our classes. - Since I started the first day of the second marking period, and had a bit of catch-up to do, I identified the crucial or Power Standards around which to build our learning road map. 
  • Determine the Dates of our class meetings. - Using the school calendar and the new pilot rotating schedule, I identified the dates, times and durations of our classes. 
  • Create a Syllabus of the sequenced Power Standards. - In a Google sheet, I created columns for Date of class meeting, Learning Objective, supporting Power Standard, Vocabulary needed for the lesson, what the Proficiency Ticket of the day would include for skills, what the Sequence number of the lesson was, and in which Unit the lesson was included. This spreadsheet contained the data that would be available to our Learners in our Syllabus mobile app.
  • Create an integrated Distributed Practice for our spiral learning. - In the Google sheet, I created another tab to contain the Distributed Practice that included the New Lesson along with the lessons from the prior four (4) class meetings. With each day's lesson integrated with the lessons from the prior four meetings, I believe we can transition smoothly from one lesson to another, apply the spiral learning described in "Make It Stick" and integrate the learning of the lessons in a seamless way.  
  • Develop and deploy a mobile app using the AppSheet add-on in Google sheets. - After designing the Google sheet with the above-mentioned columns, I launched AppSheet to build a mobile app for our Learners, After adding column headers, an About box, and testing the prototype, I deployed the mobile app via email addresses to various members of our Professional Learning Network (PLN) to provide me with feedback to improve the app. 
This is where I stand now. I'm awaiting feedback from administrators and teachers. I anticipate this integrated planning, mobile app for our Learners to access our Syllabus, and the Distributed Practice that is accessible via a tab on this blog to streamline the planning, learning, and our communication. I welcome your thoughts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment